We all want to do a bit more to help protect our environment and safeguard our planet for our children and grandchildren. Using more Energy Efficient Appliances and Recycling or Reusing is the key to getting it right. However, it can all be a bit confusing sometimes and that’s why Dalzells, as the largest Independent Home and Domestic Appliance retailer in Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, has made a commitment to our customers to help you as much as we can. As a responsible Appliance Retailer Dalzells strictly adheres to a European Directive called WEEE (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment) which came into legal effect in 2007 and adapted specifically to meet UK needs. These regulations have been introduced to help reduce the amount of electrical equipment going to landfill and to promote the reuse or recycling of these items as best possible.
What Can WEEE Do To Help?
Dalzells don’t just follow the WEEE Directive because we have to. We do it because it’s the right thing for our environment. We can help you in the following ways:
- We seek out the most Energy Efficient Appliances we can find from all the top manufacturers. This means that when you buy a Kitchen, Laundry or Home Entertainment Appliance from us you’ll know that we’ve done our homework in advance to make the decisions easier for you.
- We state how Energy Efficient our Appliances are on our website so that you can make an informed choice as to the most Energy Efficient one within your price range.
- When we deliver your new Appliance we’ll first of all make sure it goes where you want it to go, we will then take away the packaging from large items we deliver and make sure it’s recycled in the most responsible manner.
- We will uplift you old Appliance provided that it’s ‘like for like’ - if you buy a new washing machine we’ll take the old one away – empties of all liquids, and left outside for us to get easy access. Easier for us, easier for you and better for the environment.
What Can You Do to Help?
- The easiest thing to do to help save energy is to switch off lights and Appliances which aren’t currently in use. Instead of leaving your TV on standby switch it off instead. Encourage your kids to do the same.
- Contact your Electricity supplier and ask if they can send you a Free Energy Usage Meter. This is a simple and discreet plug-in box which tells you instantly how much energy you’re using. It warns you by displaying a green, amber or red light as a quick indicator to help you be more informed and more in control of how much you spend. Help the environment and help your pocket too!
- Choose to buy more Energy Efficient Appliances. Ask at the time of purchase what considerations the manufacturer has taken to make as much of the appliance as recyclable as possible. Pressure from you, the consumer, will help to ensure the manufacturers will continue to work towards producing even more Energy Efficient Appliances in the future.
- Don't put Electrical Equipment or any device with the appropriate symbol into your refuse bin. Log on instead to www.recycle-more.co.uk.
Let’s work to make our planet a better place for us, our children and grandchildren. Together WEEE can do it.